Last year we took a whirlwind trip around Italy where we ate all kinds of pasta and learned quite a few tips and tricks from Italian grandmothers in the mountains of the Amalfi Coast. This is our favorite tomato sauce recipe If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to traditional pasta, this KitchenAid attachment is the perfect tool to make fresh zucchini noodles or zoodles. We used zoodles to make this recipe. It has all the flavor of Italy without all the carbs!
We’ve tested a few vegetable spiralizers, and our favorite was the KitchenAid attachment. It makes thick and even noodles, and it was the easiest to put together and clean up. If you don’t have a KitchenAid mixer, we’d recommend this handheld spiralizer that also worked well. It doesn’t take up a lot of room, so it’s good for small kitchens. We recommend trying a large sized zucchini to start out. It makes it easier to handle. Cut it in half (or even thirds depending on the size). It only needs to be 4-5 inches and you’ll get long curly strands.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus additional as needed
- ¼ cup grated Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 Zucchini, spiralized into noodles
- 1 cup packed arugula
- Add the oil and garlic to a cold skillet or frying pan, then set the pan over medium-low heat. Once it starts to bubble slightly, saute the garlic for 1 minute, stirring often, just until it begins to soften and you can smell the garlic. Be very careful not to let the garlic burn. You can always take it off the heat if you feel like it’s browning too quickly or add a little more oil to bring down the temperature.
- Add the tomatoes and salt. Sautée for 2-3 more minutes stirring frequently so the tomatoes won’t stick to the bottom of the pan. The tomatoes will release their juices.
- When you’re ready to serve, place the noodles in a bowl. Pour the sauce over the top and combine to coat the noodles evenly. Toss with the arugula and cheese. Add additional salt to taste as needed. To serve, top with a few long shavings of Grana Padano and serve immediately.