We were recently invited to a vintage dinner hosted by Tablehopper. It was an invitation we couldn’t refuse. For a long time now, Clayton has had a fascination with vintage recipes. Hearing it was a vintage dinner, we were there! The event was held at one of the most old-school San Francisco spots, The Blue Fox (now Alfred’s). A former gathering place for the stars, celebrities like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Joe DiMaggio, Marilyn Monroe and Joan Crawford dined there. Crawford even kept her own personal case of vodka on hand.
Dressed to the nines, the event had an amazing group of people in attendance. Guests enjoyed pre-dinner cocktails with spirits from Anchor Distilling and a vintage menu paired with Mondavi wines. They even used vintage silver gravy boats from The Blue Fox! Check out the full menu below. If you’d like to try your hand at a vintage recipe, check out The Blue Fox Scampi alla Livornese recipe here.
The Blue Fox Vintage Menu:
- Pepperoni Don Savatore, artichoke, garbanzo beans, avocado, fresh herbs // Fume Blanc Reserve, To Kalon Vineyard, 2014 (similar here)
- Scampi alla Livornese, gulf prawns, garlic, white wine, lemon // Chardonnay Reserve Carneros 2014
- Spinach Gnocchi, beef sugo, peas, spring onion // Pinot Noir Reserve Carneros (similar here)
- Roasted Filet Mignon, asparagus, red wine demi glace // Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, To Kalon Vineyard, Oakville 2013 (similar here)
- Baked Alaska, caramelized pineapple, vanilla ice cream, sponge cake, merengque //Moscato D Oro Napa 2015 (similar here)