We absolutely fell in love with this tart at The Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay! It was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. It would be a fantastic (and impressive) addition to any brunch, and it’s much simpler to make than it looks.
Thankfully the chefs at Navio at The Ritz-Carlton decided to share the recipe from their Saturday Farmers Market Brunch with us. We can’t wait to make it at home ourselves for our next brunch party!
Don’t be intimated by all of the moving parts, it’s actually quite simple when you break it down. If fava beans aren’t in season, you could use peas or leave them off. We thought it was especially pretty on simple white plates like these or these.
- Fava Bean Puree
- Tart Dough
- Herb Ricotta
- ¼ cup Thinly Sliced Easter Egg Radishes
- 1 cup Fresh Fava Bean Leaves, (Lightly Fried in Olive Oil Until Crispy. Place on Paper Towel to Drain.)
- ¼ cup Shaved Pecorino Cheese
- 1 cup Shelled and Blanched Fresh Fava Beans
- Assemble the tart by spreading the herb ricotta mix all over the puff pastry dough in an even layer. Then scatter the sliced radishes all over the tart. Place small spoonful of the fava bean puree. Using a sharp knife cut 3 inch wide rectangle pieces and place on a serving platter. Garnish with fresh fava beans, crispy fava leaves and pecorino cheese. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, serve and enjoy!
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 lemon Zest and juice
- 1 bunch Chives, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Mix all ingredients until combined and adjust seasoning if necessary. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 1 cup shelled fresh fava beans
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- In a deep heavy bottom pot sweat the shallots and garlic in the extra virgin olive oil. Add the fava beans and stir briefly. Add a pinch of salt and enough water to barely cover the beans and simmer until they are cooked through. Remove from heat, let cool slightly and blend on high until whipped and smooth, adjust seasoning if necessary and cover with plastic and refrigerate until chilled.
- 1 sheet Frozen Puff Pastry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay down a non-slip baking mat or parchment paper on to a baking sheet tray. Place the puff pastry dough while it’s frozen on to the tray, and then place another piece of parchment paper over the dough. Place one more baking tray the same size onto the parchment so the dough is weighted down while it bakes, will not rise and stay flat. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until a deep golden brown color. Once finished Let it cool at room temperature.