We’ve been craving the caramel-almond apple tart that we had at one of the best natural wine bars in Soho for months. During our trip to London, we were seriously tempted by the giant tart sitting next to us. I’m so thankful that we decided to split a piece with coffee after dinner. Since buying the Ducksoup cookbook, we make this almond apple tart at home. It’s the perfect fall tart and would be an easy Thanksgiving dessert for family and friends.
We made the Ducksoup tart with strawberries this summer, but decided to swap out their pastry recipe with our favorite foolproof flaky pastry crust recipe that you can get here. It works every time! We also put less filling than their tart since the apples take up a ton of space in the tart pan. If you want to take it to another level, you could even spread a thin layer of caramel on the crust once it’s baked and before adding the apples, but we love it just as it is.
- 1 recipe of pie dough
- 84 g unsalted butter
- 84 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 17g flour
- 80g almond flour
- 3-4 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
- hand full of toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Roll out the dough and place it into a tart pan with a removable bottom. Drape the dough over the pan, and gently push the dough into the corners. Once it's fitted, take a rolling pin and roll it over the top of the pan to take off any extra dough pieces around the edges. You can use the extra dough to patch any thin areas or holes if you like. Add foil or parchment paper to the top and fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the pastry for 20 minutes
- To make the filling, cream the butter and sugar until it's pale and fluffy. Add the egg while continually mixing. Once combined, add the two flours.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Remove the pie weights and parchment or foil. Reduce the heat to 350 F. Add the apples to the crust, followed by the almond filling on top. Spread it around to fill the gaps between the apples. Return to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, top with toasted sliced almonds, and serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or creme fresh.